Care to go for a swim?
Cool commercial for the Canadian Paralympic Committee.
Here’s why it works:
1. Slow, epic music focuses your attention on the image.
2. Slow motion heightens dramatic effect.
3. Rewinding/backwards shot builds anticipation for what happens at the end/beginning of the reel.
4. Seeing a one-legged swimmer standing poised and strong at the diving board is unexpected and awe-inspiring.
5. “Save your sympathy for her opponents” is effective because it juxtaposes traditional sympathy for “disabled” people with that fact that Stephanie Dixon could school you any day….and twice on Sundays.